Here are some beneficial opportunities for our community members. Come back weekly to see updates and new opportunities!
This page was last updated on September 24, 2020
Community Engagement Opportunity: Become an Eastside Block Captain!If you are an Eastside resident interested in collaborating with residents and community-based organizations on the revitalization efforts taking place in your community, please contact Sharia Greene, the Neighborhood Revitalization Coordinator at Habitat for Humanity of New Castle County.
Mobile Phone (Call or text): 302-545-0179
Thank you to the CEO of Imani Energy, for providing information about Solar power opportunities available through an innovative collaboration being presented to the community by the Central Baptist Community Development Corporation(CBCDC): Jeffrey Richardson provided valuable information about the benefits of solar energy, including the reduction in long term housing costs. The objective of the organization’s power pollution mitigation pilot is to install one 4kw solar power system for one Eastside resident and utilize this installation for community project-based education. This project is estimated to conclude in June of 2021. Please contact Mr. Richardson if you or someone you know is interested in the free solar power system. The guidelines for participation are listed below:
- Volunteering your home to receive the free solar power system
- This includes a mandatory site assessment to ensure that the system can be installed based on the angle of your roof and other qualifying criteria.
- Agreeing to participate in required trainings and provide feedback to the community on how the solar/energy efficiency system has impacted your utility bill and any other insights for the duration of project.
To participate in this Central Baptist Community Development Corporation initiative, contact:
Fun Family Activities: The City Wilmington partners with West Side Grows and Central Baptist Community Development Corporation to offer Socially Distanced Fall Movie Series in City Parks: Click here to learn more. Below is their current movie for the next three weeks:
Cool Spring Park at 10th and Van Buren Streets
- Thursday, September 24, Moana (rain date: September 25)
- Thursday, October 8th, Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (rain date: October 9)
- Thursday, October 22, Harriet (rain date: October 23)
Father Tucker Park at 9th and North Scott Streets
- Wednesday, September 23, Aladdin (rain date: September 30)
Brown, Burton Winchester (Prices Run) Park at East 26th & North Locust Streets
- Friday, September 25, film title to be announced (rain date: September 26
Fun Family Activities: The Greater Wilmington Convention & Visitors Bureau has created a list of 15 “Awesome”, “COVID safe” activities for kids in Wilmington and the Brandywine Valley. To make reservations and begin planning your next family outing click here
Apply to be a Contact Tracer
- Apply to be a field contact tracer with the State of Delaware. This includes going out in the field to conduct in-person interviews with individuals that have tested positive for COVID-19, and people they have been in contact with over the past few days. The ability to read, write and speak Spanish and/or Haitian Creole fluently is preferred, but is not required. Read more on the State of Delaware Jobs Website.
- Apply to be the Field Director for the contact tracing program with the State of Delaware. This position will serve as a Field Director in the community for Contact Tracing for the COVID-19 response. The incumbent will oversee staff going out in the field to make contact with individuals who cannot be reached by phone. This position will be responsible for providing guidance to field staff, troubleshooting issues, and providing daily reports to leadership.
- Apply to be an Epidemiologist II or Epidemiologist III with the State of Delaware. See the job descriptions for more details.
Job Opportunities available through the City of Wilmington: Available positions include:
- Human Resources Administrator (Salary: M04 – $55,422 – $87,566)
- Click Here to learn more and see application deadlines
UPS Interviews are held every Wednesday from 9:00 am to 3:00pm at the MARC Building, 1906 Maryland Avenue, Wilmington, DE 1905
- All interested individuals should pre-register although it is not required it is strongly encouraged.
- All attendees should come with two original forms of ID (State ID, Birth Certificate, and Social Security)
Pay: $14.50 per hour
Hours: Mon to Thurs 11pm to 4am
Contact: If you have any interested clients, please call the MARC building at (302)778-6900.
Register online for The Mobile Food Pantry located in the parking lot of Stubbs Early Education Center on Monday October 12th, 2020 from 11:00am:
Habitat for Humanity of New Castle County is partnering with Food Bank of Delaware to bring The Mobile Food Pantry to the Eastside, during our Rock the Block activities. Stubbs Early Education Center is located on 1100 North Pine Street, Wilmington. This will be walk-up Mobile Pantry, adhering to COVID-19 protocol for physical distance. If you or anyone you know is interested in participating as a recipient of this food distribution opportunity, please register online by September 26th.
Click here to register.
Free Drive-Thru Grocery Giveaway hosted by Faith Victory Christian Center on Saturday September 26 from 11:00 am – 1:00pm:Faith Victory Christian Center is located at 301 Commonwealth Avenue in Claymont, Delaware. Groceries will be given to one adult per household.
- Participants MUST call 302.333.8981 OR 302.354.0353 to register and MUST be present in a vehicle to receive groceries.
Food Bank of Delaware Drive-Thru Mobile Food Pantries:Next week, the Food Bank of Delaware is having a Drive-Thru Mobile Food Pantry in each county. Delawareans must bring ID and proof of residency. Below are the dates and locations provided by the office of Governor Carney.
- Kent County| Wednesday, September 23 starting at 11 a.m. Dover Intl. Speedway, 1131 North Dupont Highway, Dover
Click here to register in advance.
- Sussex County| Friday, September 25 starting at 11 a.m. Crossroad Community Church, 20684 State Forest Rd, Georgetown
Click here to register in advance.
Contact Nema Bass with names of senior Wilmington Residents who need free hot Sunday meals. If you know of elderly residents in need of this service, below is Nema’s contact information:
- Nema Bass
“Delaware Hope Line” Connects Delawareans to Help for Handling Stress and Behavioral Health Issues. The office of Governor John Carney has shared this information to help those who are struggling with the challenges surrounding mental health, especially during this pandemic, understand that they are not alone.
The Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health’s phone line, 1-(833)-9 HOPEDE or (833) 946-7333, is dedicated to helping Delawareans cope with stress and address behavioral health needs during the coronavirus pandemic.
Resources and services are also available through DHSS’ behavioral health support website, HelpIsHereDE.com.
The Delaware Legislative Black Caucus is hosting a virtual information session at 7 p.m. on Thursday, September 17, to help minority-owned businesses access the new DE Relief Grants program: Join Members of the Delaware Legislative Black Caucus, including Senator Darius Brown, Representative Sherry Dorsey Walker and Senator Elizabeth “Tizzy” Lockman, along with Damian DeStefano, Director of the Delaware Division of Small Business as they present information to ensure that minority-owned businesses are helped by this state-run program.
- Click here to register to attend this session.
Download the COVID Alert DE Mobile App from the App Store or Google Play: The office of Governor Carney announced the launch of this app stating that by downloading the app, “Delawareans can use their phones in the fight against COVID-19 without compromising privacy or personal information. COVID Alert DE also allows users to log symptoms and get more information on COVID-19 in Delaware.”
Click here to watch the announcement
Click here to learn more
App Store download
Google Play download